[ap-utils] ap-utils 1.2 & DWL-900AP configs

Johnny Brown ap-utils@kiev.iorta.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:33:35 +0100

Roman Festchook wrote:

>On þÅÔ 21 ìÉÓ 2002 01:00, root wrote:
>

>>Great utility - I used v 1.1 to get connections between my DWL-900APs
>>rolling and v1.2 just makes the job even easier.  I have noted a few
>>things with v1.2 which may be of interest:
>>
>> - when setting various config parameters (Gateway, operational mode,
>>Mac auth...), the new settings seem to get "lost" now and then.
>> However, if I select the Command Upload after making a parameter
>>change, the new settings always seem to be properly saved.  Rather
>>interesting, as the warning when one selects Upload might imply just the
>>opposite could happen.
>>

>Most SNMP settings in Atmel chipset actualized only after upload - it is
>feature:((

Okay, thanks for the info.  You might add this interesting bit of
knowledge to your README for v1.3 as I suspect there are a few other
Atmel users who would like to know this "feature".

>>- is there some magic involved in setting the channel power settings?
>> If  I shut down all but one channel on my APs, the number I enter isn't
>>the number that is saved (e.g, entering 510 results in 254 being saved).
>>

>all numbers more than maximum allowed (254) decreased to 254

Good to know the numbers are supposed to be decreased.  However, my
experience was that entering numbers more than max (254) resulted in
numbers that were 254 or less, with the amount less depending on some
unknown algorithm.  However, 254 as a max is just fine - I don't want to
get too anal here ;-)

>> Also, if I only one channel is turned on, does all the available power
>>go into this channel regardless of the mW setting that is shown?
>>

>I think no - just set maximum power (128) for this channel

Ok -will do

>>- here is a bizarre one.  For some reason during the last couple of
>>weeks, if I go to Info and select KnownAPs and leave this selection
>>active, the connection between my two DWL-900APs  works just fine.  If I
>>do not select KnownAPs or if after selecting it I exit (click on Q) this
>>option, the connection does not happen.  I've tried changing every
>>config parameter that I could think of that might have caused this side
>>effect, but no luck so far.
>>

>You need to set one AP in AP Client mode and set mac address of another AP to
>Remote MAC option, then make Upload conf

Great - the change works perfectly.  I had swapped the APs in my LANs
and forgot to reset the AP to Client mode for the satellite LAN.  Thanks
very, very much.

>>Anyway, great utility and I look forward to giving v1.3 a whirl.
>>

>:))

On to v1.3, then the world!!  Well, except maybe ACX100 chip sets ;-(

--
+* Johnny M. Brown - IT & Geosciences: Project Mgmt & Strategic Planning *+
Internet1: johnmb@club-internet.fr     Home Telephone:   +33 (0) 559 218141