[ap-utils] ap-utils 1.2 & DWL-900AP configs

root ap-utils@kiev.iorta.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:00:25 +0100

Great utility - I used v 1.1 to get connections between my DWL-900APs
rolling and v1.2 just makes the job even easier.  I have noted a few
things with v1.2 which may be of interest:

 - when setting various config parameters (Gateway, operational mode,
Mac auth...), the new settings seem to get "lost" now and then.
 However, if I select the Command Upload after making a parameter
change, the new settings always seem to be properly saved.  Rather
interesting, as the warning when one selects Upload might imply just the
opposite could happen.

- is there some magic involved in setting the channel power settings?
 If  I shut down all but one channel on my APs, the number I enter isn't
the number that is saved (e.g, entering 510 results in 254 being saved).
 Also, if I only one channel is turned on, does all the available power
go into this channel regardless of the mW setting that is shown?

- here is a bizarre one.  For some reason during the last couple of
weeks, if I go to Info and select KnownAPs and leave this selection
active, the connection between my two DWL-900APs  works just fine.  If I
do not select KnownAPs or if after selecting it I exit (click on Q) this
option, the connection does not happen.  I've tried changing every
config parameter that I could think of that might have caused this side
effect, but no luck so far.

Anyway, great utility and I look forward to giving v1.3 a whirl.

BTW - I'm using ap-utils-1.2-1mdk  on an RH 8.0 installation with the
latest RH8 updates (e.g., kernel 2.4.18-17.8.0).

Best Regards,

Johnny