[ap-utils] DWL-900AP as client to another AP?

Hank Barta hbarta at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 11:33:30 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 01:21, Roman Festchook wrote:
> Not sure about DWL-900ap but as I know standart firmware with ATMEL410 devices
> doesnt allow this AP to work with Orinoco devices.

My other AP is a Dlink 614+ which ap-config identifies as an
"ATMEL12350" but for which the reply is slow. Ordinarily this device is
administered through HTTP but it seems that there are some limited SMTP
capabilities (or ap-config does not interpret the timeout when initial
connection is made.) All other queries result in a timeout.

> Try to connect without WEP in both APs.

Done and I have confirmed that the 614+ has WEP turned off by examining
the 'Known AP' page on ap-config. It reports the following:

# ESSID           BSSID (MAC)  CN NetworkType    P WEP RSSI   LQ
1 my_ap           004005C71232  6 Infrastructure L Off  90%  80%

# ESSID           BSSID (MAC)  CN NetworkType    P WEP RSSI   LQ
1 my_ap           004005C71232  6 Infrastructure L Off  -60    8

# ESSID                            BSSID (MAC)  CN P WEP RSSI LQ
1 my_ap                            004005C71232  6 L Off  36   8

# BSSID (MAC)  Manufacturer OUI
1 004005C71232 ANI COMMUNICATIONS INC.

The "Wireless statistics" are:
UnicastPacketsTx            0 UnicastPacketsRx            0
BroadcastPacketsTx          0 BroadcastPacketsRx        652
MulticastPacketsTx          0 MulticastPacketsRx          0
BeaconTx                    0 BeaconRx                  632
ACKTx                       0 ACKRx                       0
RTSTx                       0 RTSRx                       0
CTSTx                       0 CTSRx                       0
ACKFailure                  0
CTSFailure                  0
RetryPackets                0
ReceivedDuplicate           0
FailedPackets               0
AgedPackets                 0
FCSError                  168
InvalidPLCP                55

(I wonder what FCSError and InvalidPLCP indicate.)

Configuration of the DWL-900AP is:

Bridging:
               MAC address: 00055D261160
[I] IP: 192.168.100.16  [N] Netmask: 255.255.255.0
[G] Gateway: 192.168.100.1
[F] Filter non-IP traffic: Off
[P] Primary port: Ethernet
[D] DHCP client: Off
[O] Operational mode: Access Point client
[M] Preferred BSSID (remote MAC addr.): 004005C71232
[S] SNMP traps: On

Wireless:
[C] Frequency channel: 06 (2437 MHz)
[E] ESSID: my_ap
[N] AP name: music
[R] RTS threshold: 2346
[F] Fragmentation threshold: 2346
[P] Preambule type: Long
[A] Auth type: Open system
[U] Auto rate fallback: On
[S] Insert ESSID in broadcast packets: On
Basic and Supported rates:
  Key   Rate  Status
  [1]   1.0M   Basic
  [2]   2.0M   Basic
  [3]   5.5M   Basic
  [4]  11.0M   Basic

Privacy:
[E] Standard encryption mechanism: Off
 [rest is redundant]

And the system information is:
Device hardware/software/name info:
 802.11 AP (Ver. 1.4j.3) music
MAC address: 00055D261160
Product name: WLAN AP
Product type: 0
Hardware revision:
OEM name:OEM ID: 0
Regulation domain: FCC (USA)
Info structure version: 2
Manufacturer OUI: 00 05 5D (D-Link Systems, Inc.)

It seems that the DWL-900AP recognizes the DI-914+ as an AP but the
DI-914+ never lists the DW-900AP as a client.

Under 'advanced settings for the DI-914+ I noted that it was set for
short preamble and changed it to long to match the DWL-900AP but that
did not seem to help. I also changed both to 'short' with no better
results.

Are there any other settings that I should look at to see if I can get
this to work?

thanks again,
hank

--