[ap-utils] Micronet SP918+WEP KEY

Johnny Brown ap-utils@kiev.iorta.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:53:52 +0100

Hi there,

The zeros are a "design feature" of ap-config or ap-utils.  The WEP keys
you enter are really accepted and written to the modem, permanently if
you do an Upload from the Commands menu after setting them.  However,
the new key values are not echoed to the user when you return to the
Privacy settings under the Config menu.  This is supposedly a security
feature of ap-config.

IMHO - if the modem or AP administrator can set the key values, he or
she should be able to SEE the key values.  However, that is an issue you
will need to take up with Roman.  I'm not complaining, mind you, as I
find the overall ap-utils package to be extremely useful.  Maybe just
adding info to the man page about the zeros would be enough help for new
users?

I have set the WEP keys for both 64 and 128 bit encryption and they have
worked correctly.  Be sure to Upload the new values after you enter the
keys if you want to keep them permanently (or until the next time you
want to change their values).  That is, assuming Upload doesn't cause
problems for your type of modem/AP.  I have D-Link equipment, so
Uploading is required if I want to save any parameter settings after I
modify them. Actually, I have to do the Upload each time I change each
parameter, even if I want to change several values at the same time.

Good luck,

Johnny