[AP-UTILS] 0.9.5 vs 1.0 error values?

John Foust ap-utils@kiev.iorta.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:14:00 -0500

I had been using ap-mrtg to get wireless and Ethernet stats
from Linksys WAP11 in "access point client" mode.

On my network I have several of these that are "off" some
of the time.  They're only turned on as needed.

When ap-mrtg 0.9.5 tried to talk to these when they were "off",
MRTG didn't seem to mind.  I'm guessing that ap-mrtg returned
zero values in this case.  (I didn't keep an old copy of 0.9.5
so I can't check.)

Now with ap-mrtg 1.0, when it fails to connect, MRTG generates
output consisting of two blank lines, a dash, and another blank.
MRTG complains, giving errors like:

WARNING: Problem with External get 'ap-mrtg 192.168.5.59 "xxx" e':
   Expected a Number for 'in' but got ''

WARNING: Problem with Externale get 'ap-mrtg 192.168.5.59 "xxx" e':
   Expected a Number for 'out' but got ''

I don't see a link to 0.9.5 on the web site.  I was happy with
it; I'd either like to revert or learn how to configure 1.0 to
generate valid "zero" data when it can't connect.

- John