[AP-UTILS] DWL-1000AP

Jake Kassen ap-utils@kiev.iorta.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:29:47 -0400 (EDT)

I just got the same AP a few days ago and have been struggling to get it to
work. This was the only thing I found that would let me configure it. I'm
using the exact same 802.11b client card.

The firmware that comes pre-installed on the card is very flaky. You'll
need to download the firmware upgrade from D-link. (You will need
windows or dftp(?).) Once the firmware is upgraded, you might be able to
use the search function of ap-nwm to see it. It works about 1/2 the time
for me and it works better if no activity is going through the AP. (I'm on
a campus DHCP network and I have no idea what IP the AP is given until the
search utility finds it.)

I also found that I could configure it by disconnecting the Ethernet
connection from the AP and laptop and use the config utility that came
with the AP. (Windows)

Anyway, the AP was cheap, but it isn't very good (from what I've found in
the last few days.) If anyone knows a way of turning off broadcast SSID,
let me know. Good luck.

Jake