[AP-UTILS] Thank you (and a logging question)

ian ap-utils@kiev.iorta.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:24:42 +0100

First off, a huge "Thank you!" for ap-utils (1.0.4) as I was bashing my head
against a wall failing to get snmpwalk working on my SMC 2655W.  My lack of
detailed SNMP knowledge was probably to blame, as it wasn't until I started
reading the archives that I discovered that there is a custom MIB for the unit.
My defence is that I didn't want to even look at the CD that came in the box,
just to see if I could do it :)

I've been using it on an old Linux/MIPS 2.0.34 kernel (a Cobalt Qube 2),
and have noticed a couple of places where the ap-atmel program will core
dump, and I'll have a look at why a bit later - I don't need that bit just
yet, and it could be something along the lines of the SPARC issues mentioned
previously.

I do, however need to upgrade the firmware in my unit, and was wondering if
a network dump of this process might help in adding this functionality to
ap-atmel ?  I was considering using tcpdump with nothing but the logging
machine, a Windows box and the WiFi unit on the LAN and just capturing
everything that the Windows machine does.  Is this a valid approach ?  Is
there a better logger I could use ?

I apologise if this has already been looked at and discarded/implemented in
another fashion as I only got the unit yesterday, and I'm still stupidly
excited by the full speed coverage everywhere in my house and garden !

Thanks again for making it possible for me to set my SSID without having
to touch Windows.

TTFN,
--
ian.